Tuesday, September 20, 2022

Some of my favorite modeling tools

 There are lots of different tools that can be put to use to help with building and detailing small cars.

Aside from the usual ones that most people start with like a good Exacto or hobby knife, masking tape (I prefer Tamiya brand tape) here are a couple that I like.

The first is a set of Carbide Micro Drill bits.  The 10 piece set that I bought ranges from 0.3mm to 1.2mm in size.


These are great for making small holes in plastic (they are tiny and I haven't tried them on diecast metal for fear of breaking them).  I use them for things like wires for spark plugs, opening exhaust pipes, and things like that.



Another one that I like is simply called "Ultra Fine Saw Blades".

They are about the size of a double razor blade, but instead of a single blade they have a micro size saw-tooth edge on both sides.

The picture shows the the blade in a handle for ease of cutting, but I sometimes use it without.

They are thin a flexible but do a great job of cutting. Again I have mostly used these on plastic for jobs like removing parts from the mold trees, cutting open doors and hoods, and they work really well for cleaning out, and deepening panel lines.

I use them for anything that I think is a little too shallow and looks not quite right. A slightly deeper panel line, and light wash of dark paint will go a long way to make things look more realistic.


Next is a handy item I picked up called a "Utility Tools Hobby Masking Tape Cutting Pads Two Sides Digital Camouflage".  I found it on Ebay, and knew it would come in handy.

It's a guide for cutting all sorts of shapes in masking tape.

There are two sides.


There is an etched "depression" on all of the shapes. So you put your masking tape down, and then run your sharp hobby knife along in the depressions and it cuts the shape.

Great for making straight lines for pinstripes!

Or hexagons, squares, stars... even some numbers and shapes.


 This has some shapes cut in the masking tape.

 This came in HUGE when creating the paint job for this one.


 I didn't even try to count the number of tiny squares of masking tape that went down before the fade paint was applied.


Got lots more tool, tricks, and tips I'm planning to share.. so stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment