Monday, August 29, 2022

AMT 1970 Corvette ZR1 - LT1

 And now for another Corvette.

This is AMT's 1970 Corvette LT-1/ZR-1.


 

I always liked the look of these 3rd Generation Corvettes with the Stingray body style launched in 1968.

This one features the very rare LT-1 350 cubic inch engine. With a super high 11:1 compression ratio, a giant 4-barrel carburetor and solid lifter cam, this rare engine was listed at 370 Horsepower in  the Corvette. 

General motors numbers show that only 53 of these high performance street cars were built between 1970 and 1972.

I like the color on the box art, and had a can of Testor's Extreme Lacquer in Fiery Orange, and thought that would look great.


I like these lacquers as they spray out very fine but with great coverage, and they dry quite quickly.

With very little follow up and a couple of coats of clear they look great at scale.




This was the 3rd car I completed during the "lockdown" and had to make a custom plate for it. Using an image I found online of a Michigan 1970 license plate and a little photoshop - here is what we have.



It's hard to tell at this scale, or even on the full size car just how potent that little small block is.

The only giveaway would be a couple of small details, and the big sticker on the air-cleaner, to separate it from the base engine.


At 370 Horsepower, this is more than 20% increase over the rating of the "base" Corvette 350 engine.

A quick view underneath. I did a little light weathering and painted a few small details to make it look less "flat" and "toy-like".


If you looks close, you can see the Goodyear lettering on the tires, the same as was on the box art. I chose to use the opposite side facing out, with the "redline" sidewall. I felt this looked a little more period...

Now I need to find my Virus 1, and Virus 2 builds... as long as I am going backwards for a little bit.




1 comment: