Tuesday, December 11, 2012

One of the oldest "survivors" I have....


I have this old model kit that I built probably 20 years ago.
It's an old Mustang Boss 302 kit that I can't even remember the manufacturer of, but it's not important.

This kit is one that I built over a two week period while on vaction with my family when I was about 15 years old. I remember boxing up my glue, paints, brushes, and all my stuff and brought it along with us on the vacation that summer to Alexandria, Minnesota.  A friend of the family had a cabin on a lake there that had been in their family since the 30's, and we decided it would be a great place to get away from everything for two weeks.

It isn't much to look at in comparison to some of the finished kits I turn out these days, but I was damned proud of it.
Spray can yellow enamel paint turned out okay.... I knew nothing of polishing the final coat, and don't even think that it has a clear coat on it.

The engine bay is reasonably detailed with some variations in paint color to help pick out some of the details.

I chose to replace the wheels and tires that came with the kit for some that I had in my parts bin. The big slicks on the back were likely left-overs from an old 3-n-1 kit, and the wheels themselves I recognize from a Z/28 kit that had been sacrificed to the firework gods....

Which is why I call this my oldest "survivor". It wasn't the first model kit that I built, but as little boys can be, I tended to destroy a few of the really old ones I had. But this one was good enough, and I liked it enough that I seemed to hold on to it.

It isn't perfect, it isn't show quality, and the wheels still fall off if you pick it up, but I have hung on to it for 20 years, and it isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Maybe I'll have to find another Boss 302 and built it, as a comparisson to see where I have come in 20 years of modeling......


No comments:

Post a Comment