Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Jeep Wrangler Rubicon and 1968 Dodge Charger R/T HEMI

So it has been a little while since I put anything on here, but that doesn't mean that I haven't been busy.

It started a couple of week ago with a camping trip with my wife to a local State Park with a large lake, and well known sand-dune area. As we were camping we kept seeing all these amazing sand-dune rigs driving up and down the road.
So I got inspired to build this.
Jeep Rubicon
 Revell's Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. It comes right out of the box with the big offroad tires, rollcage, lights, bumpers and all the goodies.
Can barely make out the custom license plate
About the only two things I added that were not in the box are the "sand dune flag". A necessity so you don't run in to other trucks as you are cresting a dune. And the custom license plate.
I added some pastel powder to the tires and along the bottom edge of the chassis to make it look a little more like it has spent the day on the dune, rather than just been washed.

I also see a couple of small flaws. Apparently while handling, I must have crinkled the RUBICON decal on the passenger side. It also looks like the front bumper isn't aligned quite properly.

All in all, I was very happy with this build, and it went together quite easily.

And now THE BEAST.

I had been holding on to this one for a while, and decided that it was time to break it out.
Revell's 1968 Dodge Charger R/T.
My initial plan had been to build a little more subdued 440 car, but my wife convinced me that a more wild, 426 HEMI drag racer may be a little more fun.

It is built pretty straight from the box, as is my more typical building style. I left off the decals that stretch from the front fenders backwards into the door. I thought it was just a little too much black on a silver car.
This was another great kit that went together without any real drama or issues. Everything just went together where is was supposed to.
That 426 HEMI!
And the heart of the beast is the famous 426 HEMI engine.
It stands out nicely and really fills up the engine bay.
Again, I see I missed a couple of parts in this shot. Mainly the firewall. I didn't even notice until I started cleaning up my workspace, and there is was.... way too late to be fitted.
If I could find the upper radiator hose, that might be a nice touch.

Some day I'll learn how to make a wired distributor cap, and be able to add that to the top end, and really finish this one off nicely.

And now back to my typical closing....

What to build next?




No comments:

Post a Comment