Thursday, July 31, 2014

Hotwheels Screamliner Custom Hotwheels

While I wait for paint and glue to harden, I thought I would take some pictures of a few projects I have snuck in over the past several months.

The first one is a Hotwheels Screamliner. I really like this casting, and it reminds me of an old boat-tail Talbot Lago, or something along those lines.
 It has great lines overall, and low swoopy design that I really liked.

 The intake stacks through the hood, and the chrome base along the wheel openings just stuck out to me. I know part of the base is the way it is manufactured. (Trust me, I spent a couple of hours trying to make it work my way....)
 Here are the three basic pieces. Body, Chassis, and interior/chrome pieces. I decided I was going to fill the opening in the hood, so the intake runners were "carefully" removed with a dremel grinding wheel.
 The next step was to separate the chrome piece. I wanted to keep the exhaust headers, and grill as chrome pieces, but I didn't like the little gap around the wheels wells. I also didn't feel the need to have the chrome running around the entire lower of the car.
 After lots of work with putty, sandpaper, and needle files, here is the finished result.
 It met what I was hoping for. Without the openings in the hood, and a little less chrome, it felt a less like a hotrod, and more like an elegant touring car.
 Struggled with whether or not to remove the fin, but in the end I decided to leave it. The shape flows nicely with the overall car and roofline.
A little bit of chrome silver pin-stripping helps accentuate the curved shape, and stands out against the dark green paint nicely. It is also a little reminiscent of the original printed tampos from the Hotwheels factory.

No comments:

Post a Comment