Monday, February 11, 2013

More Hotwheels Repaint

Okay, so I have been bitten by the Hotwheels customs bug, and have now torn apart a couple more over the weekend to repaint them.

First up is simply a Dodge Viper GTS-R concept vehicle. I didn't like the paint that Mattel put on it, and decided something more along the lines of the vehicle that Dodge rolled out would a be a fairly easy update.



Viper Custom

Next I had this Torino that I liked the body shape and the stance of the car, but it was painted in a bright orange and yellow combination.

Decided something more along the lines of the Torino from the movie Gran Torino.
Dark green with a yellow green stripe down the side.
The stripe wound up a little larger than it should have been to be accurate to the body, but I like it.
Also tried  a simple fade from the lime to silver, just like the graphic on the real car.


Custom Ford Torino

Lastly, found this new casting that Hotwheels has come out with. (or at least new to me)
They call it the Volkswagen Kool Kombi.
Original in the package
Not really a Volkswagen fan, but thought this one was pretty "cute" with it's proportions.
Have a green one just like this already in the collection, so thought let's make a Kustom Kool Kombi.

Had a couple (just a couple) of cans of paint around, and found two colors that I thought would work well together, and stay with the vibe of the Volkswagen Van.

A little paintwork
I liked the idea of the two purples in my head when I was trying to come up with a fun combination.
Then when I got all done, I slipped it back in to the package, and glued the "bubble" back on to the card just to see if I could make it look good.

The only problem is that it makes photographing a little more difficult through the packaging...

Back home in it's packaging



5 comments:

  1. Yay for purple, but I kinda like the swirls on the original car. ...speaking of originals...where are the photos from the others? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love what you did with the Torino. I just started customizing Hot Wheels, my blog is: christophe-francois.blogspot.com.
    I hope I can also do that kind of stuff in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Torino. Could you share with us the painting process of that one?
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Torino was fairly simple. Similar to the Corvette, just stripped it down to bare metal. Then primer, wet-sanding to get everything smooth.
    Then the whole car got painted silver. From there lightly painted the front half of the car in the same citrus green color, but faded the paint heavier on the front.
    Then just a wide strip of tape down the side, and painted the green over everything.

    Peel the tape off and you're left with the citrus green to silver stripe down the side.
    After that, just some detail painting and re-assembly.

    ReplyDelete